Digital Apprenticeship Service
What is the Apprenticeship Service?
This video gives a brief overview about the main elements and the different functions that make up the apprenticeship service.
0:00 Introduction and background
1:00 Estimate my apprenticeship funding
1:32 Find apprenticeship training
2:09 Recruitment Tool and Find an apprenticeship
3:31 Manage apprenticeship
4:20 Apprenticeship Assessment Service
Apprenticeship Service Registration
This video covers the information needed, and goes through the process of creating an employer account on the apprenticeship service.
0:00 Introduction and background
0:49 Three step registration process
1:58 Training provider support
2:33 Registering a user
3:05 adding a PAYE scheme
4:08 Confirming the organisation
4:47 Accepting the employer agreement with the agency
5:38 Provider permissions
Digital Apprenticeship Service User Guide
1. BEFORE SETTING UP YOUR APPRENTICESHIP SERVICE ACCOUNT
You will need:
• an email address you have access to
• the Government Gateway login for your organisation (or you can use the accounts office reference number and employer PAYE scheme reference number if your annual pay bill is less than £3 million)
• authority to add PAYE schemes to the account
• authority to accept the employer agreement on behalf of your organisation
2. SETTING UP MULTIPLE CONNECTED ORGANISATIONS IN YOUR ACCOUNT
You can add multiple connected organisations to the same account if you want to manage all your connected organisations in this way. You should register every organisation that will make an agreement with a training provider for apprenticeship training.
If you have set up your account with multiple connected organisations, your transfers allowance will be worked out as a total of all the organisations within that account.
You cannot use a single PAYE scheme across multiple connected organisations. You cannot move funds between the accounts once they are set up.
3. HOW FUNDING WORKS IF YOU PAY THE APPRENTICESHIP LEVY
If you pay the apprenticeship levy, you will need to work with your:
• payroll department to understand how much apprenticeship levy you are due to pay each month and submit to HMRC through the PAYE process
• finance department for strategic decisions on how you will spend your levy funds
• HR or training department to discuss your apprenticeship strategy
How much funding you will receive if you pay the apprenticeship levy
The amount of funding entering your account each month is calculated by:
• the levy you declare to HMRC through the PAYE process
• multiplied by the proportion of your pay bill paid to your workforce who live in England
• plus, a 10% government top-up on this amount
4. HOW FUNDING WORKS IF YOU DO NOT PAY THE APPRENTICESHIP LEVY
Smaller employers, who do not pay the apprenticeship levy share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with the government. This is called ‘co-investment’.
For new apprenticeships starting on or after 1 April 2019 you pay 5% towards the cost of apprenticeship training. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum.
As a smaller employer, you can reserve funds in the ‘finance’ section of your apprenticeship service account. You can also give your training provider permission to reserve them on their behalf.
When you can use reserved funds
The reserved funds are available to use from the month of the apprenticeship start date and the following 2 months. The reservation will expire at the end of the 3rd month if you do not use it.
You could be eligible for extra funding depending on both you and your apprentice’s circumstances.
5. Getting Started
Firstly, you will need to get your organisation set up on the Apprenticeship Service. Go to How to register and use the apprenticeship service as an employer - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and follow the onscreen instructions as it takes you through the account set up process. You will set yourself up as a user and will need your organisation details to create the company account. You will only need to do this for the first log on.
Once the account is set up, you will come to the homepage where you can add, view and manage your apprentices. To add an apprentice, click on the ‘apprentice’ navigation and ‘add an apprentice’.
Before you can add an apprentice, choose your organisation as the workplace of the apprentice and on the next screen input the details for the UK Provider Reference Number of the training provider supporting the apprenticeship programme.
The UKPRN for ASPIRE to Learn is 10023313. The next page will confirm Aspire to Learn as the named training provider for the apprenticeship.
Making things easier, let us add the apprentices for your approval.
If you want your training provider to upload the details of your Apprentices, then simply select the option highlighted ‘I would like my provider to add apprentices and click continue.
You will then be taken to a page that allows you to send a message to them directly. Choosing this route will create a cohort reference number with your details attached to it and Aspire to Learn will be notified of this via email.
You can now start adding apprentices to your DAS account. If you are not a levy paying employer, you would need to reserve the funding at this stage. You are required to reserved funds from the month of the apprenticeship start date.
On the review page click ‘add an apprentice’ and complete the personal details for the apprentice: full name, date of birth, apprenticeship course, planned start date/end date (month/year) and cost of the apprenticeship - excluding VAT.
After completing the details, save and continue. You will then be asked to send the submitted information to Aspire to Learn for the newly added apprentice.
Next, you will receive confirmation that the cohort has been sent to us and this will show as pending. Once we have checked and sent back the cohort to you, you will need to review the cohort details again and check that everything is correct before continuing to approval.
It is important to check the details before approving. If there are any issues you have the option to send the details back to us to amend.
Once approved, you have now declared the apprentice’s details as correct and Aspire to Learn will be paid the funds from your DAS account on or around the 18th of each month.
APPLY FOR AN INCENTIVE PAYMENT FOR HIRING A NEW APPRENTICE
Employers who hire a new apprentice between 1 August 2020 and 31 March 2021 can apply for:
• £2,000 for each new apprentice aged 16 to 24
• £1,500 for each new apprentice 25 and over
You can apply for the payment from 1 September 2020 to 30 April 2021, after you add new apprentices to your apprenticeship service account, follow the step below:
• Head to your Apprenticeship Service Account.
• Click ‘Apply for the ‘Hire A New Apprentice’ Payment’ link (Located on the home page).
• Once you have read through this page and you are happy with the information, click ‘Start Now’ at the bottom of the page.
• Once you have confirmed that your Apprentice has started their contract of employment within the allocated time frame, click ‘Continue’.
• On the next page, you select any Apprentices you wish to claim the incentive for and click ‘Continue’.
• At this point of the application, you can see a summary of the Apprentices you wish to apply for and, if necessary, make any changes. Before you confirm your selection, you will see the incentive payment is shown against each Apprentice you are applying for. This is calculated against their date of birth.
• As you move throughout the page you will be required to confirm you are happy with ‘Our Declaration’ as highlighted on-screen. Once you are happy, click ‘Confirm and Submit’.
• Over the next few pages, you will need to provide your organisation’s bank details, along with the other information requested within the ‘before you start make sure you have’ section of this flyer.
• Once your application has been completed you will receive key information on-screen regarding when you can expect to receive your Incentive payments
6. YOUR TEAM
This section allows you to set up new users and control what they can do on your account. There are currently three options available when setting up a new user, so you will need to think about which staff members will need to perform specific roles in relation to the account. You can enable your team to:
• View information (but not make changes)
• View information and add apprentices
• Accept agreements, view information, and manage PAYE schemes, organisations, apprentices and team members
Under this section, you can see your transaction history and the forecast of your Apprenticeship funds over time. However, you will only be able to access this after funds are added to the system, which for most Levy-paying employers, will be in May 2017.
8. YOUR ORGANISATIONS AND AGREEMENTS
All employers will need to sign an agreement with the ESFA to enable them to use the funds in their Apprenticeship Service account to pay for apprenticeship training.
In this section, you will be able to sign this agreement although you will need to establish who has the authority within your organisation to do so.
Once your agreement has been digitally signed, you can go on to add connected organisations (if you are part of a group of connected companies).
9. PAYE SCHEMES
Here, you can add and manage your PAYE schemes for your organisation and any connected companies. You can also add in information on the percentage of your workforce that operates within England, details of which will be provided by HMRC based on the data in your payroll submissions.
The Apprenticeship Service only supports the English Apprenticeship system and you will only be able to claim Levy funds and the government’s 10 per cent top up on your English workforce.
If you think there are any issues with your English percentage, check your payroll data to make sure your employees’ address information is correct.